This project was led on a Design and Build (D&B) basis as part of the Department of Education & Skills Rapid Build Schools delivery programme 2016 – 2017. ABM’s role in the project was as Main Contractor and Project Supervisor for the Construction Stage (PSCS).
The project consisted of the construction of a new School building comprising of 1 No. 3 storey Primary School building with 24 Classrooms, general purpose hall, 2 Classroom special needs unit, support teaching spaces and ancillary accommodation. The site works to the school grounds consisted of the provision of cycle storage, a bin store, external store, ball courts, project gardens, landscaping and boundary treatment and all other associated site development works. A Green Roof was provided to the general purpose hall and the southern stairwell.The works to the remainder of the site consisted of the provision of 48 no. car parking spaces along with drop-off and pick-up facilities.
The site was located within a large residential development, with an existing school adjacent and an ongoing housing development construction site to the rear.
The responsibilities of ABM in delivering the project were the following:
- Contractors Representative.
- Design and Construction Team Leader.
- To manage the design team members in the development and co-ordination of rapid build construction techniques and to ensure that the relevant information was available to achieve both the rapid start on site and to adhere to the fast track programme.
- Sanctioning of all design decisions to ensure they meet all solutions which would achieve the targeted rapid build programme.
- Ensuring that the design development adhered to the procurement and manufacture schedules, in particular the off-site production programme for precast concrete floor slabs, wall panels and stairs, and the metal deck roofing system used.
- Responsibility for all on-site construction activities.
- Responsibility for the management and co-ordination of health and safety matters on-site in our role as PSCS.
- Responsibility for the delivery of the project to a tight schedule, including the commissioning and compliance with Schedule A of the DoES requirements for handover.
- The site was located within a large residential development, with an existing school adjacent and an ongoing housing development construction site to the rear.
- Temporary site accommodation was provided by ABM within the contract, for use by Stepaside Educate Together Secondary School. This reduced the footprint of the site to the school building footprint and carpark area only.
- Site access restrictions were implemented by ABM to ensure there was no H&S risk to school children and parents during the multiple school drop-off and collection times.
- Precast deliveries were precisely scheduled due to the size of the load and lorries involved.