This project was led on a Design and Build (D&B) basis as part of the Department of Education & Skills Rapid Build Schools delivery programme. ABM’s role in the project was as Main Contractor and Project Supervisor for the Construction Stage (PSCS).
The project consisted of the construction of a 2 storey national school comprising of 16 no. classrooms, 6 no. support teaching classrooms and ancillary accommodation with a total floor area of c. 2524 sq. m. The site works to the school grounds involved of the provision of 2 no. ball court, Bike shed, 1 no junior play area gardens & landscaping boundary treatments. New roundabout and set down area, disabled parking and teacher parking provision.
The design and build consortium planned a fast-track on-site construction duration of 34 weeks. With an area of 2524 sq. m and 16 no.classrooms, this was one of four school new-build contracts awarded to ABM by the Department of Education and Skills Rapid Build Programme.
In July 2013, the Department of Education and Skills prioritised funding to facilitate the construction of schools in rapidly developing areas such as Esker, Lucan, Co. Dublin. Esker Educate Together National School was tendered on a design and build basis for the new school in October 2013. It was intended that the school would be operational by the start of the school term in September 2014/15. The commencement date was 2nd January 2014 and construction of the school was completed within a 34-week programme.
The role undertaken by ABM
- Contractors Representative
- Design and Construction Team Leader
- To manage the design team members in the development and co-ordination of rapid build construction techniques and to ensure that the relevant information was available to achieve both the rapid start on site date and to adhere to the fast track programme
- Sanctioning of all design decisions to ensure these were solutions which could achieve the rapid build programme
- Ensuring that the design development adhered to the procurement and manufacture schedules, in particular the off-site production programme for the Kingspan panellised system used
- Responsibility for all on-site construction activities
- Responsibility for the management and co-ordination of health and safety matters on-site in our role as PSCS
- Responsibility for the delivery of the project to a tight schedule including the commissioning and compliance with Schedule A of the DoES requirements for handover