This project was led on a Design and Build basis as part of the Department of Education & Skills Fast Track Build Schools delivery programme 2017 – 2019. ABM’s role in the project was as Main Contractor and Project Supervisor for the Construction Stage (PSCS).
The project consisted of the construction of two schools on the same site accommodating the existing Coláiste Bhaile Chláir Post Primary school.
- Offsite techniques used for the ETNS building included pannelised metal frame external wall panels insulated off site and delivered to site in addition to precast hollow core slabs, so as to fit within the hot rolled steel frame.
- 57 number additional car parking spaces (32 new spaces for Primary and 24 additional spaces for Post Primary) including all landscaping, ball courts and soft play areas to both schools.
- The Post primary extensions internal and external walls were constructed offsite using solid precast concrete walls.
- Kingspan Roofing Panel designed and cut off site to allow rapid roof fixing and weathering of the works.
- This (together with accelerated glazing system and LGS Frame system) allowed internal finishes that are moisture sensitive to commence earlier in the programme.
The responsibilities of ABM in delivering the project were the following:
- Contractors Representative
- Design and Construction Team Leader
- To manage the design team members in the development and co-ordination of rapid build construction techniques and to ensure that the relevant information was available to achieve both the rapid start on site and to adhere to the fast track programme.
- Sanctioning of all design decisions to ensure they meet all solutions which would achieve the targeted rapid build programme.
- Ensuring that the design development adhered to the procurement and manufacture schedules, in particular the off-site production programme for precast concrete floor slabs, wall panels and stairs, and the metal deck roofing system used.
- Responsibility for all on-site construction activities.
- Responsibility for the management and co-ordination of health and safety matters on-site in our role as PSCS.
- Responsibility for the delivery of the project to a tight schedule, including the commissioning and compliance with Schedule A of the DoES requirements for handover.
- The site was located within a large residential development, with an existing school adjacent and an ongoing housing development construction site to the rear.
- Temporary site accommodation was provided by ABM within the contract, for use by Stepaside Educate Together Secondary School. This reduced the footprint of the site to the school building footprint and carpark area only.
- Site access restrictions were implemented by ABM to ensure there was no H&S risk to school children and parents during the multiple school drop-off and collection times.
- Precast deliveries were precisely scheduled due to the size of the load and lorries involved